Evil Twin

Kyle Huff in a nutshell.

From official sources and media reports


Born Sept. 22, Whitefish, Mont., with twin brother, Kane.


Raised in Whitefish by father Willis, a Vietnam vet, and mother Mary Kay Huff, an artist.


Attended schools in Whitefish. Parents divorced in 1985 while boys were in elementary grades. Twins said to be bookend brothers who in high school blended with small art-and-drama group of nonjocks. No known school disciplinary incidents. Burly blond twosome called gentle giants by high-school classmates. Liked to make a statement by dressing in combat boots and trench coats. Hairstyle alternated from long to buzzed to Mohawk.

In teens, brothers tuned to heavy- metal music. Kyle seen by some as creative brooder and blossoming artist with future in pottery. Classmates jokingly voted brothers "least spirited" because of nonconforming lifestyle. Kyle did not excel academically, spelled poorly, but was considered studious. Was respected for his wit. Though 6 feet 5 inches, 250 pounds, brothers didn't play football or other sports—were big enough to do as they wished. Graduated from Whitefish High School in 1996.


Remained in Whitefish after graduation. Kyle worked at Stageline Pizza. Remembered as quiet kid and good worker. Brothers' interests grew in art and especially music, but neither had definitive goals, friends say. Twins lived in Huff family house on Sasquatch Hollow Road in Whitefish. Town a mix of wealthy newcomers and locals, visited by tourists, hunters, and skiers. Small-town troublemaking also among pastimes. Kyle said to be one of the rowdies who drank and drove about town in pickups. Fancied long hair, still favored trench coats, and liked guns. Purchased Ruger 40-caliber semiautomatic handgun and 12-gauge pistol-grip Winchester Defender shotgun at two guns shops in nearby Kalispell.

On July 2, 2000, fired a dozen shots into $13,000 fiberglass sculpture of a moose, using the shotgun and pistol, doing $1,700 in damage. Investigators found 22 spent shotgun and handgun shell casings and cartridges at scene. Other life-sized moose sculptures also vandalized by a group with Huff. Witnesses reported group laughing as shots were fired. Tip to police led to Kyle's arrest. He denied shooting and refused polygraph test. Charged with felony mischief, he confessed to reduced charge, misdemeanor mischief, calling it a "stupid, drunken act." Was fined $530 with $350 suspended, and ordered to perform 50 hours of community service—partly served aiding Salvation Army. Shotgun and handgun returned to his attorney, then him. Same guns would be used by Huff to kill six people and himself in Seattle six years later.


Relocated to Seattle, in part for music and art scene; would return to Montana for visits. Lived in two-bedroom unit with brother in apartment house near Northgate. Both well liked by apartment managers and were helpful to others. Kyle resumed career in pizza business, working for, among others, Domino's and Pizza Hut.

Brothers spent much of their time together—twin loners, an apartment resident called them—and liked to cruise the Internet. Both were wanna-be drummers and attended local music events at bars, sometimes wading into mosh pits. At times drank heavily and had occasional bar arguments with others. Brothers involved in fight outside an Eastlake tavern in 2004. Twins claimed to be victims, saying they fought back after being outnumbered and jumped by skinheads. Others claim twins were the aggressors.


On March 24–25, Kyle Huff, who had begun attending raves, joined Friday-night crowd at zombie-costume rave held at Capitol Hill Arts Center. Was apparently invited to after-hours party over the hill. Arrived alone around 4 a.m. at 2112 E. Republican St. Black Dodge pickup loaded with weapons: semiautomatic assault rifle, aluminum baseball bat, machete, 300 rounds of shotgun, rifle, and handgun ammunition, along with Winchester shotgun and Ruger handgun from Montana; left three other rifles and more ammunition at home. Partied, talked, had beer, smoked marijuana, caused no problems nor drew special attention. At 7 a.m., left mostly unnoticed, with 15 or more still inside. Returned minutes later with shotgun and handgun. Tossed away can of spray paint he had used to write the word "Now" in three places on sidewalk and steps. Walked up, guns blazing. "The killings were by design," says police spokesperson Sean Whitcomb. "When exactly the design began, and why, we hope to learn."


comments powered by Disqus

Friends to Follow