Your Daily Dose of Food News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Another outpost of Cone & Steiner General opened today in Pioneer Square. From the press release: "Similar to our Capitol Hill location, the Pioneer Square market offers fresh produce and flowers, prepared meals, grocery items, specialty gifts, housewares and a robust selection of beer, wines and grab-and-go options for the lunch crowd. Also included in this space are an espresso bar and a growler filling station with six beers on tap." On the weekends, they say there will be wine, beer and cider tastings as well as food demos from local vendors and farmers.
2. 8oz. Burger and Co. is opened its second Seattle location in Ballard at 2401 NW Market Street yesterday. Expect much of the same menu as the Capitol Hill location, plus some unique-to-Ballard additions like the “PB&J Burger” with frisee, tomato jam, cinnamon-spiced peanut butter, fontina, and bacon on a pretzel bun.
3. Tilth and Agrodolce are celebrating National Waffle Day this weekend. Agrodolce will offer a $5 Negroni waffle, which is laced with orange and juniper, drizzled with campari syrup, and topped with citrus cream and raspberries. Tilth is doing Chicken and Waffles, using a sourdough waffle with smoked chicken gravy, fried eggs, and preserved lemon.
4. Rhein Haus, formerly Von Trapp’s, is hosting a “Ballard Invasion” tomorrow starting at 3:00. Beer from Reuben’s Brews and Stoup Brewing will take over eight taps in the Biergarten.
5. Four slaughterhouse employees have been indicted in a disturbing case that alleges they slaughtered cows with cancer behind inspectors’ backs. Luckily there have been no reports of illness from consumption of the products.