Your Daily Dose of Food News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Hot Cakes is partnering with local Swash Letterpress + Design for a Mother’s Day weekend pop-up. Swash will be in the Hot Cakes shop Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 6pm making customized stationary sets. Hot Cakes will then add your card to a picnic basket with your choice of two sauces.
2. Molly Moon’s North Capitol Hill location is now open inside the Hello, Robin cookie shop. The walk-up window sits at 19th and Mercer and is open from noon to 10pm.
3. Oyster and wine experts gathered recently to judge the top ten west coast wines for the 2014 “Oyster Awards” at the 20th Annual Pacific Coast Oyster Wine Competition. Forty-nine Washington white wines competed with 59 from California and 15 from Oregon. Among the local winners were Chateau Ste. Michelle’s 2013 Sauvignon Blanc and Lost River’s 2013 Pinot Gris.
4. Seattleites may love their locally-sourced, ethically-raised meat, but a German farm is taking the concept one step further. Online distributor My Little Farm has started putting photos of pre-slaughter photos of the animals that went into its packaged sausages. These “happy animals” are meant to “bring good karma to the consumer.”
5. Seattle’s nominees came up empty in last night’s James Beard Awards ceremony, but Washington State netted a win thanks to Willows Inn chef Blaine Wetzel. Wetzel tied for the Rising Star Chef of the Year accolade, awarded to chefs under 30.”